Advisory regarding our policies and procedures during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis
The Cortland Rural Cemetery takes seriously the public health threats posed by the coronavirus crisis; moreover, as an essential service regulated by the State of New York, we must comply with rules and guidance from the NYS Division of Cemeteries. Accordingly, we are striving to fulfill our mission of providing burial services for the Cortland community while giving top priority to the safety of our visitors, volunteers, staff, and the public at large.
The following summarizes key aspects of our operation, procedures, policies, and service expectations during these troubling times. We ask that the public take note of and abide by them. We apologize for any inconveniences caused. And we ask for your understanding until the current crisis has passed.
- As directed by NYS, the cemetery offices are open to the public for essential services only, including at-need and pre-need burial arrangements. Please call (607) 756-6022 to schedule an appointment. Conversely, walk-in traffic for non-essential services (such as as helping genealogists find family graves) are strongly discouraged. (If you are trying to locate a grave, please make use of the tools we've made available on our website.)
- Whenever possible, our cemetery will seek to delay burials at this time. In cases where a compromise cannot be found or a burial cannot be delayed, we will insist that burial/memorial services be kept to a bare minimum of attendees -- and those attending must follow social distancing guidelines (ie: 6 ft apart) and must wear face-masks.
- To protect the health & safety of all visitors, be sure to
abide by government mandated social distancing protocols of a minimum of
6 ft of space between individuals while visiting/maintaining a gravesite or walking our grounds. This includes interactions with our staff: If you have a question or concern, please keep your distance.
- Our public restrooms are closed due to our limited staff being fully deployed for burials, and unable to clean and disinfect the restrooms in a timely fashion.
- Due to limited staff being fully deployed to maintain essential services of burials, and a decline in revenue due to the crisis, we may be unable to cut and maintain the grass to the same standards we seek to meet under ordinary circumstances.
- As monument dealers are closed by government order, installation of markers and monuments are delayed -- although we are attempting to place foundations where possible with our limited staff.
- While we recognize the serenity our grounds can provide at all times -- and perhaps in these time particularly -- the safety of our employees and visitors are of utmost importance. As such, all visitors must abide by the following rules while on the grounds at this time -- and as always:
- NO PETS
- NO BICYCLES, SKATEBOARDS, IN-LINE SKATES, SCOOTERS, or ATVs
- NO CLIMBING ON or UNNECESSARY CONTACT WITH MONUMENTS
- NO CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOL
We will get through this...together! Thank you, again, for your patience and understanding during this difficult time.